Soil Care & Nutrient Management
Tree & Shrub Fertilization
Healthy soil is essential to maintaining healthy trees and shrubs. Our experts can take a soil sample to determine the best nutrient management plan for your trees and shrubs. Our goal is to maximize nutrients that are already present in the soil, and add nutrients that may be deficient.
Any successful nutrient management program begins with soil testing. Mead Tree and Turf Care uses Maryland Department of Agriculture approved labs for soil testing. We offer three different soil testing levels.
- Basic: Organic Matter, Phosphorus, Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium, pH
- Intermediate: Same as basic plus Zinc, Manganese, Iron, Copper, Sulfur and Boron
- Advanced: Same as Intermediate plus sodium and soluble salts
We also test
- Soil Texture: Percent sand, silt, clay and texture classification
- Lead and Arsenic Contamination
Mead Tree and Turf Care has a variety of fertilization options to choose from. Based on your soil test we can use synthetic treatments such as a fertilizer, or organic treatments like bio stimulants and compost teas.
In the urban environment trees and shrubs face many challenges. Low organic matter and compacted soils are the two most common problems. Our experts will determine the best course of action to address soil structure issues. Using an air-spade we can perform vertical mulching or radial trenching. Through these procedures, we can reduce compaction while incorporating organic material.